Glitzy Christmas Cards


Are you ready to add some sparkle to your Christmas/holiday cards?  I discovered this fun glitter-glue-acetate technique last summer at the Creating Keepsakes Convention in Charlotte, NC.  The set of supplies that I used are manufactured by PK Glitz.  PK Glitz used to be called Powder Keg and was known for their fabulous hand mixed embossing powders.  And while they do still make the best embossing powders ev-er(!), they also have great mixed glitter colors.

I purchased two sets of glitter "color families" along with the needle tipped glue (crystal lacquer - which dries clear) and two sheets of preprinted acetate sheets.  The glitter color families include sets like FALL HARVEST which have pumpkins and greens, WINTER I & II which contain reds, white, greens or blues, whites and silvers - snowflake colors.  The preprinted acetate sheet cover a huge range of topics - I purchased Christmas themed sheets.  The acetate images are printed four per 8.5x11inch sheets.  PK Glitz also sells overlays (acetate sheets) that work in certain printers.  Below is the nutcracker, glue and glitter selection that I used to create this card.


Working in one color at a time, apply the glue (crystal lacquer) in a small section of the over lay - for example I filled in the rosy cheeks with glue and then applied the red glitter.  Shake off the excess glitter and continue working in small areas.  On this card I started with the reds, the cheeks, the sleeves, and the jacket front halves.  After completely filling in the image with glue and glitter I set it aside to let it completely dry.



Using Little Yellow Bicycle's new Christmas line of cardstock and the Art Philosophy cartridge I cut the remaining elements for my card.  I cut a frame (in large Christmas word cardstock) and the icon version of the frame (in plaid cardstock).  I cut an oval in the small word paper (and accidentally adhered it to my card upside down - OOPS!) and placed it on top of the plaid cut.  I then placed the acetate glittered image GLITTER SIDE DOWN on top of the little words.  I topped this with the frame cut.  This acetate sandwich was affixed to the front of the green dotted card.

Using red Stickles, I filled in the corner decorative cuts in the frame.  I also added a few red Stickles dots to the inside edge of the oval frame (placing the Stickles onto the acetate).

This technique is fun to play with and best of all, it offers a unique way to create pretty FLAT cards that will go through the mail nicely.  If you are interested, PK Glitz has starter sets that contain the tools you will need to begin using the products - and you get to choose your starter color family. 


 Thanks for stopping by today, I will be back tomorrow with another Christmas project.