Tattoos-The Pros and Cons of Having Tattoos

Attractive?

Tattoos, a little personal background.

Firstly let me say that I do not have any tattoos. That may or may not surprise you, I guess. When I was young the only females in our City that had tattoos were the rather salubrious type of females. These days though tattoos are quite fashionable and I have noticed that both young and old, male and female are getting hooked on tattoos. I have known a couple of older ladies who have had tattoos for their birthdays.
The most surprising to me was a colleague who had a tattoo for her 60th birthday. I do not have a problem with tattoos but do not understand the attraction, especially as a birthday gift, as opposed to other frivolous nonsense. Perhaps some of the older ladies just want to express a little individuality and rebellion, maybe as it was not experienced when young. Still to each his or her own but tattoos are such permanent body art that you need to weigh up the pros and cons first.

My father had a selection of tattoos along his arms that both intrigued and fascinated me as a child. Having had these tattoos done when he was abroad in the War, I often wonder if he would have had them otherwise. A huge dagger with a snake crawling around it was rather scary to me and so from childhood tattoos have never appealed to me.
Strange then that I married a man who also had tattoos. Most of his were done before he was actually old enough to have tattoos. Lying about his age to the tattooist and hiding the tattoos for a while from his Mum was essential back then.
Hubby has had these tattoos now between 45 and 49 years. His last tattoo 49 years ago was when he was only 18. Of course as many foolish young men before and since he has regretted some of these tattoos.
Whereabouts on your body that you have tattoos is important along with just what the tattoo is. Hubby has an ex girlfriends name on his wrist but it does not bother me. He offered years ago to have a tattoo to cover it up. With my dislike of tattoos I did not want him to have even one more tattoo, especially because of me. The name has faded with time though.
Although Hubby has put on weight over the years he is still slim, just not skinny anymore. This has at least meant that his tattoos are not misshapen. After all these years of marriage his tattoos are a part of him as much as any other of his attributes or faults. I would have preferred him not to have tattoos though, given a choice.
Of course there is plenty more to consider so let's consider the pros and cons of tattoos fully.